Alexandra Gent, Paintings Conservator
Memberships (professional bodies)
Accredited member of Icon; Fellow of the International Institute for the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (FIIC); Associate, British Association for Paintings Conservator Restorers (BAPCR); Ordinary Member, Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Materials (AICCM)
2018- present Paintings Conservator, NPG
2015-2019 AHRC funded Doctoral Candidate, Courtauld Institute of Art
2010-2015 Paintings Conservator for the Wallace Collection Reynolds Research Project
2009-2010 Paintings Conservator, National Galleries of Scotland
2007-2009 Paintings Conservator, Tate
2002-2009 Freelance paintings conservator part time
2001-2007 Paintings Conservator, English Heritage
Areas of interest / research
The materials and technique of Joshua Reynolds.
18th-Century British portraiture.
Details of books/publications relating to your work on British portraiture
- Von Aderkas, N., A. Gent, and D. Peggie. 2021. Splashed across the page: Understanding Joshua Reynolds’s paint media through analysis of drips in his pocket books. In Transcending Boundaries: Integrated Approaches to Conservation. ICOM-CC 19th Triennial Conference Preprints, Beijing, 17–21 May 2021, ed. J. Bridgland. Paris: International Council of Museums.
- Gent, A. and R. Hellen, ‘Painting the Picture’ in J. Chu (ed.), In Focus: Peter Darnell Muilman, Charles Crokatt and William Keable in a Landscape c.1750 by Thomas Gainsborough, Tate Research Publication, 2016.
- Gent, A. and L. Davis, ‘Reynolds as Restorer: Prince Baltasar Carlos in Black and Silver’ in Painting Techniques, History, Materials and Studio Practice, Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum, 2016.
- Gent, A, ‘Reynolds, Paint and Painting: A Technical Analysis’ in Experiments in Paint: Reynolds at the Wallace Collection, L. Davis and M. Hallett (eds.), 2015.
- Gent, A., A. Roy and R. Morrison, National Gallery Technical Bulletin 35, Reynolds at the National Gallery and the Wallace Collection, A. Roy (ed.), 2014.
- Gent, A, R. Morrison and R. Jones, ‘The Strawberry Girl: repetition in Reynolds’s studio practice’ in European Paintings 15th – 18th Century: Copying, Replicating and Emulating, E. Hermans (ed.), London, 2014.